Thursday, January 3, 2008

Finding My Power, Claiming My Potential and Embracing Me in 2008!

It is 2008 and so many of my friends and acquaintances have already made commitments to effect change in their lives. While I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions, I do believe it is a perfect reason to say no to junk food, walk a mile a day or realign your spirit and empower yourself to follow your dreams. This year I am not just focusing on being the person that other people have told me that I am destined to become, but who I have always known myself to be. You see, I finally get it! I realize that everything I need to be successful I already have. I am a writer, humorist and a speaker. So in 2008, I am cultivating my writing and motivational speaking career.

At the end of last year I launched my blog, Out Black Voices. The purpose of this blog is to provide commentary about being black and gay. I wanted to be able to provide a vehicle for myself and other gay black folk to talk about issues that affect us. Although I began writing about ‘coming out’ as a black lesbian and the black church, I fully intend to talk about issues relative to the entire black community. Upcoming articles such as The State of Sisterhood in the Black America, Why Can’t I Critique Tyler Perry? and Stop Blaming Hip Hop will be found along side articles such as Who You Calling a Butch?, The Other Side of the Tracks: Poor Black and Gay and Your'e Out: Black and Transgender. I've recently begun reading essay and books by James Baldwin, I understand that as a conscious black person I have a responsibility to respond to issues that impact the whole of my life. The fact that I began with discussions about being a lesbian was primarily because I finally felt comfortable enough with myself to provide honest insight about my sexuality. After living my life for almost twenty years in silence, I have a lot of suppressed thoughts and musings. I will use my flair for humor and infuse satire into my commentaries.

As some of you may know, I wrote my first play, Fall of the House of Snow and received recognition in 2007 from the Maryland State Arts Council. I am now working on my second play tentatively titled, An Awful Wicked Thing which tells the story of Virginia Christian, a black wash girl who murdered her white employer and was the first woman to die in ‘old sparky’, Virginia’s electric chair. I am also setting the goal of finishing 10 short stories for my book, Stories from Cool Lane.

Yesterday, I began reading, Speak and Grow Rich as an introductory to how to begin my motivational speaking career. I am very passionate about education, the black community and issues related to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. I also believe strongly in human rights. I fully intend to become a much sought after guest for panel discussions, commentaries and forums.

While I know that all of the preceding movements in my life are ambitious, I also believe that setting goals and strengthening my resolve to endure and discover personal greatness is attainable. Ultimately, if I can just convince a few people to show respect and be civil to each other, inspire someone to realize their dreams and recognize their purpose in life or help a young person to understand who they are in this vast universe, I will have accomplished something great. I never had to look to far to note that I am much more capable than I give myself credit and I hope that sharing these goals you will realize the same about yourself. Here’s to 2008 being your year of the ‘YES’!

No comments:

What is True Love?

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
James Baldwin