Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am an Invisible Black Lesbian

I am invisible, understand because people refuse to see me…When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination-indeed, everything and anything except me.Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man

If you were to ask me which community I identify with, be it the African American, spiritual or lesbian, I would offer you a well-thought of ambiguous response. I would submit that to ask me to choose one of these groups over another would be asking me to somehow compartmentalize myself. I proudly belong to all of these communities, and my embracing them speaks volumes about who I am. In fact, it is identifying with these communities that make me sensitive to the plight of others locally, nationally and globally. For, just as my brothers and sisters around the globe are engaged in a struggle for their human rights, I to struggle in a country whose moniker is freedom. Unless I deny some part of who I am, I lead an ambiguous existence in my family, community, church and in my country .

As I fight for my rights in this country, how is it that my church would ask me to deny a part of myself or risk banishment and persecution? Why is it that my community, encouraged by the church, would act as if my identification as a lesbian in some way nullifies my existence in African American families when those of like minds and hearts have always existed? Why is it that I must separate myself from my family in order to be visible? I cannot deny, by any measure, any part of who I am and my family, community and church should be aware of the danger in asking me to do as such.

I am here…I am here…I am here! I refuse to be invisible!

No comments:

What is True Love?

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
James Baldwin